The Index of Multiple Deprivation 2004 (IMD 2004) is a measure of multiple deprivation at the small area level. The IMD 2004 is based on the idea of distinct dimensions of deprivation which can be recognised and measured separately. These are then combined into a single overall measure.
- Income Deprivation This domain captures the proportion of the population experiencing income deprivation.
- Employment Deprivation This domain captures the proportion of the population experiencing employment deprivation.
- Health Deprivation & Disability Identifies areas with relatively high rates of people who die prematurely, whose quality of life is impaired by poor health, or who are disabled.
- Education, Skills & Training Deprivation Captures the extent of deprivation in terms of education, skills and training in a local area.
- Barriers to Housing and Services Measures barriers to housing and key local services in terms of geographical barriers, and wider barriers such as affordability.
- Crime Measures incidence of recorded crime Living Environment Focuses on deprivation with respect to the ‘indoors’ and ‘outdoors’ living environments.
Identification Number: JD138Sc
Authoring Entity: Office of Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM)
Producer: Milton Keynes Council
Copyright: © Crown copyright 2003. Crown copyright material is reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO.
Date of Production: 2004-09-06